I wish I had before photos of this room to show just how awful it was, but try to picture St. Patrick's Day green screaming at you every day. A teenager previously called this room her lair, but now it's a guest room and a place to read with a cat or two by my feet.
I started off by painting the walls a very pale lavender.
I unified all the furniture by priming all the pieces with Zissner primer, then three coats of white acrylic paint. I gave a distressed look by mixing up a glaze with some brown acrylic paint and applying it with baby wipes.
The ceramic shelves were purchased at a garage sale for 50 cents each, the birds are from the dollar store, I just painted them cream. The old Dundee jar belonged to my mother, I think it's from the '50s or '60s.
I found this vintage perfume bottle and a set of these Noritake consume bowls at garage sales.
I made the ruffle lamp using fabric from sheer curtains that were thisclose to being trashed after they had been replaced.
The Battenberg lace was salvaged from some valences and sewn into pillows with fabrics I had on hand in my stash. I already had the quilt, I just flipped it over so the printed side faced down.
This chair and crochet table scarf came from garage sales. I embroidered a Fleur de Lis on fabric from my stash and sewed up the seat cushion. You may have noticed that I like bears an awful lot. I'm guessing I didn't have one as a child.
This vanity came from an elderly woman I befriended when I was a teenager. She passed away and the executors of her estate allowed me to choose an item from her home to remember her by. I chose this vanity I had always admired which sat in the room I slept in whenever I house sat and cared for her dog while she was away. This is the second refinsh of this piece, the original finish was faux tigerwood maple which I always found too dark for such a dainty piece.
I made the ruffle curtains from the salvaged sheers that were destined for the landfill.
I painted and distressed the clock and gathered up the items on this vanity from around the house, nothing had to be purchased here.
I sewed new clothes for this doll I made a few years ago and stacked wicker cases my son gave me and a vintage picnic basket I had bought at a garage sale.
I sewed and stuffed these little hearts for the chains on the ceiling fan which previously had some missing pull swags.
Furniture before shots except for the bed, which I forgot to photograph:
The total cost of this room makeover was under $50.