I'll show you how after the cut.
I started with this:
I love dragonflies so I found an image I liked and transferred it onto cotton fabric which I cut about two inches larger than the case when it was opened flat.
I wanted a shabby look so I dyed the fabric in a tea bath.
I used five teaspoons of loose tea and about four cups of boiled water and let it sit about fifteen minutes. I let it air dry on the clothesline.
Then I stitched the veins of the wings with metallic thread to give it a bit of a lifelike look.
I left the cloth balled up to wrinkle even more, then splattered it with various wood stains, and even sat a drippy coffee mug down in a few places to get coffee stain rings on the fabric.
I sprayed adhesive glue all over the cover of the case and then carefully pressed the fabric onto it, making sure that it was lined up well.
I sewed the fabric onto the case with heavy duty thread, and I needed pliers to feed the needle through. Using the point of a toothpick and black acrylic paint, I added dotty looking splatter.
I collected embellishments, stitched a design on the lower right corner, made some twine flowers, and glued them all down. I typed out my all time favourite song lyric from Blue Rodeo and glued that down, then added coins with the year my son and I were born.
And that's it.
Or that was it until I decided that the hinges I had been aging in a sea salt/cider vinegar process would be a nice addition, so I jumped in and stuck them on too. I cut the heads off of rusty nails and glued them over the holes where the screws normally go.
Also, I added the Chinese character for 'love' just below one of the hinges.