Saturday 23 June 2012

Vintage Flour Sack



I'm a little obsessed with how my pantry looks (it's a sickness), so for some time, I have been wanting to do something about how flour, sugar, and rice is stored.  I decided to use old fashioned cotton sacks, so I made this one today.

I will be making a tutorial for this very easy beginners project when I make the other sacks.  For those who don't need a tutorial, basically, I measured the sack, cut out front and back, sewed it up and formed boxed corners on the bottom edge.  I hemmed the top edge and then sewed in a strip of velcro. To keep the sack from sagging as the flour is used up, you can stuff it with grocery store bags if you are as fussy as I am.

The image is transferred after construction so that it can be properly centered.

I found the image in a google photo search, cleaned it up in Photoshop and used the transfer technique that is explained here.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, this is a great display. Love the sack! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! please go to my site and check out the award guidelines.
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, love the photo on the top of your blog. And I haven't seen a sack for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cute project! that transfer technique is gold! you can make anything with it using that method..

    p.s. thanks for the SWEET note. i really needed it today!! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete