Wednesday 14 March 2012

Dad's Toolbox Transformed


While cleaning out the workshop yesterday I discovered this old toolbox my Dad would have made over thirty and maybe even over forty years ago.  It sat neglected behind the furnace full of rusty nails.  I hauled it out and cleaned it up thinking I could definitely find a better home for it.  I have!  I've placed cutlery in mason jars and tied up napkins with jute. This will make a handy caddy for dining outside in warm weather, and I just love how it looks sitting on my sideboard.


At some point, it looks like one of my brothers tried to saw through this box when they played carpenter, which would have earned them a whole heap of trouble from my Dad.

I found an old advertisement for grain at The Graphics Fairy and applied it using CitraSolv which I didn't realize could be used to transfer images to wood.  It totally can! 

I am placing a link to a tutorial I posted on how to transfer images using CitraSolv over here.  To transfer images to wood, you will have to rub harder than you would if you were using fabric - otherwise, the method is the same.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool. I see your other blog and started following it. I really want to try a transfer like this. I will have to find some of this citrasolv, it sounds like a cool technique. and I see in this post you say it doesn't fad from the fabric you've used it on - good to know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece. The history behind it makes it even better. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat - beautiful and practical!

    GinaC.

    ReplyDelete