Friday, 22 March 2013

Spruced Up Knife Block

I've been wanting to freshen up my knife block which was shabby but not in a good way.  The blonde wood stood out like a sore thumb and it had an unattractive Starfrit logo front and center.

I used a hand sander and stripped off the finish, then stained the wood using steel wool that had soaked in vinegar for several hours.

I did an image transfer with Citrasolv, using selected parts of an advertisement I found on The Graphics Fairy.  I finished it off with a coat of mat water based fast drying sealant.


  1. The knife block looks very good with its new label. I have copied all over town looking for the right toner base for copying to use the Citrasolv transfer. No luck so far!

  2. I think there are many kitchens that have a knife block that needs a make-over...I know mine does! :) You have inspired me! I love how yours turned out. I'd love to have you share it at the Rock ‘N Share! Blessings, D

    1. Thanks for sharing your knife block at the Rock 'N Share! I hope to see you there again tomorrow! Blessings, D